updated 9 July 2012
Click on map for larger version
'The ancient parish of Stroud covered 3,990 a. and lay in two main divisions.........
Source: 'Stroud: Introduction', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11: Bisley and Longtree Hundreds (1976), pp. 99-104.
|Paganus: Latin: [noun] country dweller, [adj] rustic
1192: Paggenhull? Paggeull? (Rotuli Litterarum Clausarum)
1195: Paggehull (Cur)
1218: Pagenhull (e), -hul (RLC)
1287: Paganhull(e) (rent)
1287: Pakenhull (Ass; 1614 will)
1287: Pagehull (GLS Assize Court Rolls)
1292: Paganhull (Ipm)
1319: Pakenhall (Calendar of Patent Rolls)
1319: Pagenhull - 'John le Walshe of Pagenhull' (Calendar of Patent Rolls)
1354: Pagenhill: (Ch)
1377: Pakenhell (Public Works in Medieval Law)
|1377 - 1399: Pakenhell (Works; 1654 PR)
1378: Pagonhull1491: Pagynhull (Pat)
1509: Paganhill (Min Acct)
1542: Pakynhyll (FF)
1549: Pakynyhyll (GLS Feet of Fines)
1574: Paikenhull? Packunhull (GLS FF)
1587: Pakenhyll, -hill (FF)
1631:Packenell (GLS Ipm)
1639: Paganhall, Paganhull (GLS Ipm)
1641:Pakenhill (17 Charles I)
1790: Pagenhill (Memorial inscription)
1879: Paganhill (Fisher)
The manor, like the manors of Upper and Lower Lypiatt, was originally held of the honour of Hereford.
By 1279: A church was built at Stroud as a chapel of ease to Bisley. It was agreed by 2 portioners of Bisley rectory and by the vicar of Bisley that there would be a resident chaplain at Stroud who would service the villages of Over and Nether Lypiatt, Paganhill and Bourne. Although it was decided that a house for the chaplain would be built on Pridie's Acre, there is no evidence that one was ever built.
By 1287: The chapel at Paganhill was the chapel of ease to Bisley.
1304: Date of deed of Endowment/ Composition of the chapel of Stroud. The chaplain's stipend was paid by the inhabitants, portioners and by the stipend formerly paid to the chaplain of Paganhill. The chaplain at Stroud also had to serve Paganhill. Whiteshill and Ruscombe formed part of the tithing of Paganhill. (By the 1800s they had become notorious for being the poorest and most immoral in the parish.) Hawkins has commented in Notes and Recollections that no evidence of Paganhull chapel or its location had been found, but that the Composition showed that Paganhull 'seems to have been a great place in early times seeing it had a chapel and a beneficiary clerk all to itself, before the year 1304...', indeed even before maintenance arrangements had been made for a resident priest at Stroud.
1329: There is a record of the existence of a chantry, presumably in the ancient chapel at Paganhill, dedicated to St James.
1375: John Monemuthe, John Seymour and John Fremer held a fee in Paganhull of Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Wessex at his death in this year.
1439: Richard atte Mill held land by gift of Thomas Guysshe (later to become Ruscombe Estate).
1532: William Pawne leased Ruscombe Mill and Farm to Richard Gardner.
1553: As the chapel adjoined the manor house at Field Place owned by Giles Field, it was seen as church property, and so he was accused of having carried away ornaments, vestments as well as a chalice. He quickly defended his claim, stating the chapel was purely for his own use, no more than twice a year, and so it could not be deemed a chapel of ease.
1556 - 1558: Thomas Clayffeald versus Giles Fyldes, gentleman: Injunction obtained, `but suspended owing to the late King's death,' to stop an action of slander by the defendant, who was accused of embezzling the chalice and ornaments of the chapel of Paganhill (Pakynghill) in Stroud.: GLOUCESTER. C 1/1412/22-23 : C 1 Court of Chancery: Six Clerks Office: Early Proceedings, Richard II to Philip and Mary; C 1/1412. Papers held at The National Archives, Kew
1572: Stone was quarried in Paganhill around this time.
1574: The Ruscombe estate was sold.
1576: Whatever the circumstances of his claim, by this year, the chapel had been demolished according to Field's instruction.
1608: Records of Paganhill show the following trades being followed in the village: a carpenter, a joiner, a mason, 2 sawyers, 2 shoemakers, a smith, a tailor, a tiler, a wheeler.
1625: At the Ipm (Charles I, part 2, No7) taken at Gloucester Castle re death of Thomas Turnor on the 17 March, there is reference to some of his property at Pakenhill: 'one messuage, situate in Pakenhill, within the parish of Stroud, in the tenure of George Brone; one other messuage in Pakenhill, in the several tenures of Richard Kaise, Henry Stephens, Thomas Heyway, and Thomas Elliotts..' Later: 'the several messuages and cottages in Pakenhill are held of Henry, Earl of Suffolk by knight's service, as of his honor of Hereford, but by what part of a knight's fee the jurors know not, and they are worth per annum, clear, 6s 8d.' The jurors included: Robert Taylor, Roger Batt, Henry Townsend, Henry Twissell, Robert Houne, Thomas Cooke, John Furmer, Edmund Snow, Thomas Aldridge and John Hancoxe.
1648: Giles Gardner, owner of Ruscombe Farm, leased the corn mill to Daniel Gardner, clothier.
1677: Giles, Daniel Gardner's son, also a clothier, continued the lease.
Late 1700s: Independents were beginning to flourish in the parish.
1728: A Gardner descendant, also a Daniel and clothier, was still leasing Ruscombe Corn Mill when he was declared bankrupt.
1799: Houses were registered in Paganhill for worship.
1802: Houses were registered in Ruscombe for worship.
1810: Houses were registered in Bread Street for worship.
1811: Independents /Congregationalists had become established on the western side of Paganhill parish, under John Burder's ministry.
1815: Paganhill Mill was offered on lease.
1819: Ruscombe Corn Mill was demolished.
1822: Paganhill Mill, owned by John Phelps of Field Place, was let to Thomas Steel. Puckshole Mill where the Randwick - Paganhill Road crosses Ruscombe Brook, was owned and occupied by Thomas Ellary. Rose Inn on Paganhill Lane opened. Solomon Hopson was the Tavern / Public House Keeper according to the Pigot 1830 Directory, and, by 1894, Kelly's Gloucestershire Directory showed that Adolphus George Mallett was in charge.1824, 24 June: Partnership of William and Samuel Holmes of Paganhill, blacksmiths, dissolved. (See The Law Advertiser for that year.)
1825: John Burder registered a house in Paganhill for meetings. An Independent Chapel was built in Paganhill after this date, and, by 1850, it had congregations of about 50. The Plain on the Paganhill / Whiteshill road was the pound for the tithing created in 1825. The old main route from Stroud to Cainscross ran through Paganhill until the Cainscross road was constructed, which helped to expand the area further.
1830: Holmes Samuel, Tavern /
Public House Keeper, Wool Pack, Bowbridge, Stroud; Holmes Thomas, Grocer/Tea
Dealer, Pagan Hill, Stroud (Pigot's Directory).
1841 St Paul's Church, Whiteshill, was consecrated as a chapel of ease to Stroud Parish Church.
1842: Stroud tithe map showed a chapel, blacksmith's shop and cottage, all owned by William Holmes, blacksmith, near the centre of Paganhill Village, across from Upfield. Paganhill Mill was let to Stephen Clissold.
1847: Death of Henry Wyatt of Farmill Park who had paid the salary of Ruscombe's Independent Chapel's minister, and had provided for the maintenance of associated schools.
1856: Occupations recorded in Paganhill village included: a blacksmith, a bootmaker, a butcher, 2 carpenters, 3 shopkeepers, a wheelwright
1863: Inhabitants of Pagan Hill included: Sidney Biddell, esq, Farm hill; Joseph Timbrell Fisher, esq, Field Place; Mr Herbert John; Capt J Dutton Hunt, Farmhill house; Miss Miles, Pagan Hill; Charles Stanton, esq, Field Place;. COMMERCIAL: Richard Barton, silk throwster; John Cox, baker; John Fennimore, farmer; Miss Ann Harper, laundress; John Harper, carpenter/builder; Edward Holmes, millwright/engineer; Wm Holmes, blacksmith/farrier; Joseph Jordan, wheelwright; John Leech, beer retailer/butcher; Wm Lucas, The Rose innkeeper/butcher ; Simon Salter, accountant; Aaron Shipton, woollen cloth manu; Richard Smith, plasterer; Francis Watkins, bootmaker; Matthew Wicks, seedsman. Public Schools (National): Robert Lulham, master; Mrs Mary Ann Moreman, mistress. Infants: Mrs Esther Browning, mistress. (PO Directory of Gloucestershire, Herfordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol 1863)
c1865: A house was built adjacent to Paganhill Mill.
1869: 'Holmes's' Chapel was being used by the Baptists.
Re the chapel mentioned in VCH:
This is puzzling: the 1869 document stated that before then the building had been a chapel and formerly a house, yet the 1842 tithe map shows that the chapel was part of the front plot now occupied by Cooke and used (at least until recent times) as a chapel of rest for coffins until the funeral. The later censuses of 1891 and 1901 show a Baptist Mission Room on the back plot ie presumably Dissenters' Cottage. Perhaps it was described as such so that there was no clash with the new Paganhill Chapel, described as the Iron Church aka Mission Church 1903, but the 1903 map has 'Chap' written at the back of plot 369, although that may be for convenience as available space for text is cramped.
By 1870: Richard Barton was the owner of Puckshole Mill.
1871: Harman and Adey made cloth at Puckshole Mill, but went bankrupt. By 1900, the mill had become known as Vale Mill and was being used for corn.
1882: Paganhill Mill was being known as Steel's Mill.
1894: Kelly's Directory Gloucestershire: 'Pakenhill is a hamlet half a mile south [of Whitesill], partly in this and partly in Cainscross parish. farm Hill House is the residence of Mrs Holloway, and Field Place of Edward Caruthers Little Esq, JP.' residents of note included: Henry Albert Blanch of Hillfield; Mrs Holloway of Farm Hill House; Edward Caruthers Little JP of Field Place; William Margetson of Brightside and the Misses Stanton of Upfield.
1897: The iron mission chapel was built in Paganhill village in memory of Fanny Holloway. At her death, her relatives donated one thousand pounds' worth of stock for its maintenance.
1897 - 1906: Steel's Mill, formerly Paganhill Mill, was being known as Little Mill where corn was processed by the King family.
1905: The Misses Emily Rose and Rose Emily Stanton of Upfield, Paganhill painted the murals in St Paul's Church, Whiteshill.
1930s: The former Paganhill Mill aka Steel's Mill aka Little Mill had been demolished and the associated house and land became known as Little Mill Farm.
By 1936: Puckshole Mill aka Vale Mill had been demolished, leaving a brick-faced stone-built house plus associated 17 century / 18 century cottages on the west side of the old mill pond, possibly former employee homes.
1960s: Little Mill Farm's land was sold as building land.
1965: A new chapel was built south of Farmhill House.
1971: The new chapel was achieving congregations of 50 - 100.
Principal Families and Ownership of Estates in Paganhill Manor
The manor of Paganhill in the detached western part of the parish was divided among at least two owners by 1268, and in 1303 there were 7 owners holding Paganhill as ½ fee from the Earl of Hereford. The manor remained in 7 parts in 1374.
1268: Henry of Dean and his wife, Agatha, dealt with 2 messuages + 13 yardlands in Paganhill. Henry held a moiety of the manor in right of Agatha at his death around 1292 when his heir was his son William.
1303: Rose of Dean and her sister Margaret held Henry's portion of the manor. Other portions held by: Nicholas Seymour (de Seymour), Henry Farmer (le Fermer), Richard the clerk, Maud Walsh (la Walsche), and Richard Dabitot.
SEYMOUR > MORETON > WEST > FOWLER > WINTLE
1303: Nicholas Seymour held a portion of Paganhill manor.
1346: Roger heir of Nicholas Seymour held a portion of Paganhill manor.
1374: John heir of Roger Seymour held a portion of Paganhill manor.
1522: William Moreton, son of Robert, held the estate in Paganhill at his death. He had no heir as he was still a minor, and so sisters Dorothy and Elizabeth inherited his the estate.
1538: Elizabeth nee Moreton and her husband Sir George West passed the estate on to Richard Fowler, a clothier of Stonehouse.
1560: Richard Fowler died. Half of his Paganhill estates were bequeathed to his wife Margery. The other half, including Seymour's farm, passed to his son William.
1593: William settled a large Paganhill estate on himself and his wife Alice, and also on their 2 sons.
1599: William died.
1613: William's sons, Daniel and Henry, sold Seymour's farm and estate to Richard Wintle.
FIELD > MONMOUTH > FIELD > DELAFELD PHELPS > TYERS > DELAFELD PHELPS > STANTON
1346: John of the Field held a portion of Paganhill manor, based on the house named Field Place.
1363: Ruscombe lands were granted to John of Monmouth by William in the Field of Gloucester.
1374: John in the Field held a part of Paganhill manor.
1443: Reference to John Field of Paganhill.
1510: Thomas Field of Paganhill died.
1556: Giles Field held his estate, termed the manor of Paganhill.
1611: Reference to Richard son and heir of Anthony Field of Paganhill.
1637: Reference to Richard Field.
1653: Reference to Richard Field.
1693: Richard Field of Field Place died.
1715: Elizabeth, daughter of Edward Hill of Cam, Richard Field's widow, died aged 78. Land was left to her by a pre1684 agreement. There is a memorial to Richard and Elizabeth Field in St Laurence Old Church, Stroud.
c1710: Thomas Field owned Field Place Estate.
c1728: Edward Field owned Field Place Estate.
1736: Edward Field JP died aged 67 and the estate passed to Thomas Field. There is a memorial to Edward erected by his second wife Anne daughter of Richard Plummer of Stroud in St Laurence Old Church, Stroud.
c1779: Descendants of Thomas Field's nephew, John Delafeld (de la Field) Phelps of Dursley, owned Field Place estate.
1803: The estate was bought by James Tyers.
1835: The estate was owned by another John Delafeld Phelps.
1842: John Delafeld Phelps also owned an additional 87 acres of land adjoining the Field Place estate.
1863: Charles Stanton died. He was of a successful clothier family and he bought Field Place after 1842, later living in the neighbouring property Upfield. His eldest son, Charles Holbrow Stanton, Esq, barrister of Lincoln's inn, succeeded him.
1897: Charles Holbrow Stanton was living at Field Place.
By 1919: Charles Holbrow Stanton had died and had been succeeded by Arthur William Stanton who died in 1944.
1346: Walter Smith held a portion of Paganhill manor.
1374: Thomas heir of Walter Smith held a portion of Paganhill manor.
1303: Henry held the portion
1346: Henry held the portion
1374: John held that portion.
1408: Henry son of John Farmer of Paganhill.
1303: Portion held by Richard the Clerk.
1319: Richard accused of hunting illegally in the Earl of Pembroke's Painswick Park.
1346: Portion held by Richard the Clerk.
1374: Portion held by Richard Clerkesson.
1303: Maud held the portion.
1316: John of Paganhill succeeded Maud and held the portion.
1319: John of Paganhill was accused of hunting illegally in the Earl of Pembroke's Painswick Park.
1321: John's Paganhill lands were confiscated by the king as he was suspected of participating in John Giffard's rebellion.
1322: John's Paganhill lands were returned to him.
DABITOT > DUDBRIDGE
1303: Richard held the portion (possibly a messuage + 1 ½ acres of meadowland and ½ yardland).
1305: Benet of Dudbridge settled the bracketed land above on himself and his wife Nichole.
1346: Richard and Walter of Dudbridge were portion owners.
1374: John Dudbridge owned the portion.
MONMOUTH > PAWNE > GARDNER > DAVIES > WARNER > WYATT > COOKE > CRIPPS > HALLEWELL > HOLLOWAY
1346: John of Monmouth held a portion of Paganhill manor.
1363: John of Monmouth, his wife Emme and his son Richard obtained other Paganhill lands.
1439: A Paganhill deed was witnessed by Richard Monmouth.
1470s: John Monmouth was obtaining more Paganhill lands.
1494: Monmouths' estate (the manor of Paganhill) passed to William Pawne and his wife Anne.
1532: William and Anne Pawne's son, William, held the manor, which included an estate called Ruscombe Farm. In that year, the farm was leased to Richard Gardner who died in 1548.
1571: William Pawne of High Ongar, son of William, held the manor.
1574: William Pawne of Ongar conveyed parts of a large Paganhill estate to 10 purchasers (including Giles Gardner (possibly Richard Gardner son) and Richard Davies). Giles Gardner bought Ruscombe Farm.
1585: Richard Davies was dealing with 'Paganhill manor'. Giles Gardner settled Ruscombe Farm estate on himself, his wife Jane and his eldest son, William Gardner.
1601: The Cooke family occupied a mill at nearby Lodgemore.
1626: William Gardner was holding Ruscombe Farm.
1628: Ruscombe Farm estate was settled by William Gardner on his son Giles.
1632: William Warner, clothier, died, owning a capital messuage and 47 acres, possibly 'Paganhill manor'.
1640: Thomas, son of William Warner, died, leaving the estate profits to his wife Sarah during the minority of his son William.
1648: Giles Gardner was holding the 100 acre Ruscombe Farm estate.
1659: William Warner was living at Paganhill.
1672: The Warners' main house, thought to have been sited on the east side of the Paganhill - Whiteshill Road, had 8 hearths.
1677: Giles Gardner, a clothier, had inherited Ruscombe Farm from his father.
1701: Giles Gardner, clothier of Ruscombe Farm made his will.
1710: Thomas, son of Thomas Warner was described as Lord of Paganhill manor.
1713: Giles Gardner, clothier of Ruscombe Farm died around this year, leaving behind his wife, Elizabeth who later married Thomas Stratton.
1735: Thomas and Elizabeth Stratton made arrangements for Elizabeth to receive an annuity while the Ruscombe Farm estate was conveyed to Henry Cooke of Paganhill and Noah Chandler of Randwick.
1736: Thomas Warner, son of Thomas, died and bequeathed Paganhill manor to his nephew Henry Wyatt.
1758: Record of Richard Cooke of Lodgemore.
1784: Henry Wyatt died. Richard Cooke (descendant of wealthy clothiers who had owned Lodgemore Mill) bought Paganhill manor and built an estate house.
1825: Richard Cooke of Lodgemore was one of the Feoffees of Stroud, a select group who administered the historic property of the parish church.
1842: Richard Cooke, eldest son, heir and successor of Richard Cooke, owned a 330 acre estate, including Farmhill House, Ruscombe Farm (descended to him from Henry Cooke of Paganhill) and Stokenhill Farm.
1856: Joseph Cripps of Cirencester, married to Richard Cooke's daughter and only child, Elizabeth Anne, was the chief landowner in Paganhill.
1870 - 1889: J W Hallewell Esq, JP, of Stratford Park was regarded as the chief landowner in Paganhill, having also married Anne, granddaughter of Richard Cooke the younger from whom she had inherited the Cooke estates.
1897 - 1939: Trustees for the Cripps family were the chief landowner in Paganhill.
PAGANHILL MANOR ESTATE HOUSES
Paganhill manor was represented by two estate houses from the 1700s: Farmhill House on the
east and Farmhill Park on the west. Confusion has been created by the
In 2008 with the nameplate 'Farmhill Park'
1700: The house was built on the east side of the Paganhill - Whiteshill Road.
Pre-1879 to 1892: George Holloway occupied the house until his death.
1906: George Holloway's widow lived at the house until at least 1906.
1971: The house was used as a school for children with learning disabilities.
Farmhill Park House was built about 1784, around the same
time as the builder, Richard Cooke, a local clothier of Lodgemore Mill,
bought the Manor of Paganhill.
1833: The Cooke family sold Farmhill Park and a farm of 60 acres to Henry Wyatt of Stroud. He was delighted with his purchase from the Cooke family as it marked the return to the family of inherited property that had been sold to the Cooke family in the past.
1834: Henry Wyatt (1793 -1847), clothier and local businessman with brewing and banking interests, was associated with the Stroud Anti-Slavery Society. He erected the famous archway, which marks the abolition of slavery in the British colonies.
1847: Henry Wyatt died aged 64. Wyatt's widow, Priscilla, exchanged her life interest for an annuity. She died in 1865. Her daughters, Caroline, Elizabeth and Frances (later wife of George Edwards) became owners of the estate.
1870 - 1892: The Wyatt connection with Farmhill Park lasted until 1870 after which it was associated with a series of well-known tenants. Josiah Greathead Strachan (who was an Ebley Mill partner with S S Marling) took the house over.
1900 - 1916: C P Allen, MP for Stroud, was a later tenant. In his last year, tenancy was expensive as much needed repairs had not been done and the property lacked electric light and mains water.
1930s: By that decade, the old house had deteriorated so much that, by 1927, it could only achieve a price of £3,150 for the building and 7 acres of land. Farmhill Park House was demolished. The site was developed, leaving the original arch and gatehouse.
Other buildings and estates in the Paganhill area:
Another view of Field Place
Other Park End houses
The Old Crown at the end of the row of cottages in 2008
The Old Crown in 1891 (photo courtesy of landlord)
A Sample of the Names of Paganhill Inhabitants
Please note that this is under construction! When time allows, a more coherent presentation of ALL the facts collected so far will be made.
1268, 25 November, Gloucester. John de Brompton quer; Henry de Dean and Agatha his wife def. 2 messuages and 13 yardlands in Paganhill (Pagenhull). (Covenant) The right of Henry and Agatha. For this, grant to John. To hold during John's life, of the chief lords. Reversion to henry and Agathja and Agatha's heirs. Cons. paid by (Henry and Agatha) 15 marks. Abstract of Feet of Fines relating to GLS 1199-1299, no722, ref 74/27/617 -----------------
1314: John le Waleys of Pagenhulle acknowledged that he
owed to Philip le Heyr of Colewynston 60I. and, in default of payment, the
money would be raised from his lands and properties in the county of
Gloucester. [Calendar of the Close Rolls]
1331: John le Walshe of Pagenhull was mentioned again in a
dispute [Calendar of the Close Rolls]. Around the same time, the
lands of John de Welshe of Pagenhull in Guphull and Pagenhull are
mentioned in the Calendar of the Fine Rolls.
24 July 1560: Will proved at Lichfield: Richard Fowler died in July 1560 and in his will he mentions William, son and heir, aged 37; son Edward and wife, Johanna Dawes; son Richard and wife Margaret. He left 2 messuages (11 acres each), 2 garden, 2 orchards, 120 acres meadows, 60 acres pasture, 10 acres meadows, 24 acres woods, all in Pagenhull, Puddesmere, Renwick Ebley, Ruscombe, amongst other property.----------------------
1619: Probate was granted at Gloucester to Thomasine, wife of William BOORNE of Pakenhall. Children mentioned included William, Henry, Anthony, Elizabeth and Margery.
8 June 1625: IPM at Gloucester Castle, before Edward Hilly esq., escheator, after the death of Thomas Tumor [in Gloucester on 17 march 1625], by the oath of Robert Taylor, Roger Bait, Henry Townsend, Henry Twissell, Robert Houne, Thomas Cooke, Henry Rostall, John Gardner, Roger Egerley, Peter Clissold, John Farmer, Edmund Snow, Thomas Alderige, and John Hancoxe, who say that [amongst other property elsewhere] Thomas Tumor was seised in fee of one messuage or tenement in Througham, in which he was living at his death ; .....one messuage, in Pakenhill, within the parish of Stroud, in the tenure of George Brone; one other messuage in Pakenhill, in the tenure of Henry Halliday; four cottages in Pakenhill, in the several tenures of Richard Kaise, Henry Stephens, Thomas Heyway, and Thomas Elliotts.
The messuages and cottages in Pakenhill were held of Henry, Earl of
Suffolk by knight's service, but by what part of a knight's fee the jurors
did not know. Edmund Tumor aged nineteen was declared to be Thomas
Tumor's brother and his heir.
1663, 1 June: Henry Cooke, son of Henry, yeoman of Paganhill, apprentice to George and Mary Pharley; 9 years, cutler, 50s.
A Calendar of the Register of Apprentices of the City of Gloucester 1595 -1700
5 May 1664: Deed of exchange between William Dutton of Sherborne, Gloucestershire, Esq., and William Warner of Pakenhall, parish of Stroud, Gloucestershire, clothier. Dutton granted a portion of land outside the new wall he has erected for enclosing the Viness, in return for the portion of the Vinesse belonging to Warner within the new wall.
1668: William Bourne son of Henry, baker, dec'd, of Paganhill, apprentice to Francis and Phillida Pace; 7 years, baker, 3s.
A Calendar of the Register of Apprentices of the City of Gloucester 1595 -1700
1686, 18 March: Richard Cooke, son of Richard, innholder of Paganhill, Stroud. Apprentice to John and Margaret Grafstock; 7 years from 5 Oct., baker, 2s 6d.
A Calendar of the Register of Apprentices of the City of Gloucester 1595 -1700
1727, 4 September: Thomas Warner of Paganhill received Freedom of the City of Gloucester.
A Calendar of the Registers of the Freemen of the City of Gloucester 1641 - 1838.
10 December 1741: Bond: (1) Jonathan CHINN of Newnham, gent; (2) Joshua
THORPE of Pakenhill, Stroud, doctor
1765, 1 June: Rob ELLIS, clothier of Paganhill, Stroud, received Freedom of the City of Gloucester by gift.
A Calendar of the Registers of the Freemen of the City of Gloucester 1641 - 1838.
21 Feb 1789: Sarah, widow, and daughter of Thomas Hodges of Pagenhill, Gent died/buried, aged 78.
1 Oct 1790: Robert Ellis of Pagenhill, Stroud, Gent, only son of Robert
and Esther, died/buried, aged 71
Register of Electors (East Division) 1832, Stroud (in Bisley Hundred): list of owners of property in Pakenhill
no 457: John Apperley, freehold house and land in Pakenhill Lane.
no 470: George B of Lower St, Stroud, freehold house in Pakenhill
no 542: Daniel Gardner of Wallbridge, freehold house and garden in Pakenhill
no 569: William Hill of Pakenhill, freehold house in Pakenhill
no 570: Edward Holmes of Pakenhill, freehold house in Pakenhill.
no 573: John Harper of Pakenhill, freehold house and garden in Paganhill Lane
no 668: Henry Wyatt of Stroud, freehold house in Pakenhill
1841 census: Halliday family living at Windsor Place, Pakenhill
PAKENHILL, a tything, in the parish and union of Stroud, hundred of Bisley, E. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 1948 inhabitants. From: 'Pakenham - Parham', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 531-535.
8 August 1850: Hester Thomas, late of Pagenhill, died aged 60 years. She was buried in a coffer tomb at Randwick.
1876: Directory of Gloucestershire included under Trades and Professions:
Fisher William H. C., civil engineer, architect, and surveyor, 6 George
street; h. Pakenhill
-----------------------Early 1890s: Residents of Pakenhill included: Henry Blanch of Hillfield; Mrs Holloway of Farmhill House; Edward Caruthers Little JP of Field Place; William Margetson of Brightside; The Misses Stanton of Upfield. There were Harpers, Harmers and an Arthur Sidney Cooke who were builders / tilers in the area.