Home

West Lothian Archaeology Group

Blackridge/Standhill Archaeological  Site

(East of Eastcraigs Hill)

Site 2: NS 909 681

Updated 21 May 2010

Barony of Ogilface Index

 Maps

'Ogelface in ruins' Armstrong 1773 & Taylor and Skinner 1776

'E.Craig' Cooper imprint (1737) of Adair

North of this site are East Craigs, Cantie Craigs, Cantie and R(h)oden - in that order.

 See the Archaeology Index

Viewed from the old drove/coach road, which is to the north of the site. 

The Canties and East Craigs farmsteads are to the north.

 

IR  May 2010

 
View of the site from over the hill to the west   IR KAP May 2010  Fuji F30

 

Kite aerial photos of the site (October 2007)

(Power Sled 36 kite / Fuji F30 continuous shooting mode)

  ^  Southeast approx. (Large enclosure ~18 metres across)

^  West approx. Note that the remains of the  stone 'shelter' may be at

the centre of a square structure, lying along one of its diagonals

Rosie and John flying kite from large enclosure

Western end of the site

As above but a lower altitude

As above but looking from the southwest (June 2007)

See image by Jim Knowles below 28 January 2010

(35mm film SLR - wireless control)

Circular feature on large aerial photo - collapsed square structure?

Northern edge of site (Western end)

Black dots show possible eastern entrance to the site from the raised trackway  (See large aerial photo below)

 Note in the infra-red image and in the large (Getmapping) aerial photo below, that the raised track into the site from the north-east (turning east) is cut by rig and furrow cultivation.

The site is on the right, and the raised ground curves away eastwards  IR  May 2010

The track from the Drove Road to the north is modern.

Partial tracing from enlarged version of  image below (and then reduced)

 

 

www.getmapping.com

 

 

One of the circular 'sheep enclosures' looking eastward towards

the 'Ogelface in ruins' site - the darker green mound

Walking down from the circle in previous photo towards the 'Ogelface in ruins' site

at the edge of which the photographer is located

 

The site This site approached from the track leading south from the drove/coach road. Note its elevation above the surrounding land. The initial part of the track from the drove road is recent.

Alignment with the southern wall of the remains of the 'cattle shelter'

located top centre (looking west)

The northern edge of the site
Looking east towards Armadale from the 'cattle shelter' The remains of the 'cattle shelter' (~5 metres wide)
Possible eastern entrance to site (See black dots in aerial photos above) marked by stones. As left, but viewed in opposite direction looking out from site (north east).

This relatively firm ground leads to a break in the trees ~650 metres to the east.

The old drove/coach road (Woodend - Bedlormie) - Looking east towards Woodend and Armadale

1293: Archibald, Master of Torphichen had granted Newbattle monks the right to cross his lands on their way to their estate at Kipps, [west of Ogilface], (Monklands, which had been granted to them around 1162).  As a result they built a road across the land, connecting their possessions at Newbattle to their estate at Kipps.  This road crossed through the Ogilface lands via Colinshiel, Barbauchlaw, Woodend, Tannoch, along the top of Craig Hill, and past Bedlormie, before continuing onwards to Kipps (the area north of Coatbridge and Airdrie).

The raised ground immediately east-northeast of the site has an outcrop of stones which indicate the firm ground. Above the yellow marker can be seen the mast on the hillside at Cairnpapple. Jon Cooper, who took this photo, noticed that a large natural stone on the site forms an alignment with the above stones and Cairnpapple (Lenzie-Torphichen Dyke alignment).

 

Survey - 8 September 2007

A survey of this location was conducted on the 8th September 2007 by The Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society  (EAFS)

Marking out the survey grid  
Ground resistance measurements being taken Peter Morris with his Bartington Gradiometer
Davie Kerr of the HAA test flying the Power Sled 36 kite The weather conditions were unsuitable for KAP

 

Survey - 13 October 2007
Rosie with the EAFS site survey team
Survey in progress Southern edge of site
 

10th November update 2007

Ground resistance results ( EAFS)
Magnetometry data ( Peter Morris)
 

An EAFS report was submitted to Historic Scotland in March 2008:

H.M.D. Jones, Geophysical Survey at Ogilface Castle and Stand Hill, Armadale, West Lothian.

Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society, EAFS Geophysics Occasional Paper No19, March 2008

 

28 January 2010

Jim Knowles

Jim Knowles

 

Home